GREATER NILES VILLAGE OPENS MEMBERSHIP
Greater Niles Village (GNV) is a vibrant community of neighbors along Mission Boulevard. We share our skills and support to navigate the challenges and opportunities of aging. Greater Niles Villagers believe a better experience of aging is possible when we can grow with and rely on each other.
NOT A PLACE, BUT AN IDEA
Villages are dedicated to positively impacting health and interdependence by assisting members to form social networks and secure practical assistance to age safely and successfully in their own communities. Like the 350 Villages across the US, GNV’s members enjoy stronger community connections, less isolation, increased independence and enhanced purpose of life. In Villages, older adults are empowered to remain in charge of their lives.
BUILT BY OUR MEMBERS, FOR OUR MEMBERS
GNV is a non-profit, member-supported organization led by a Board of Directors. Greater Niles Villagers will determine what we do and design how we do it. There are many opportunities:
- organize and enjoy social activities based on our interests;
- provide and participate in educational programs;
- develop and utilize GNV’s screened list of businesses and service providers;
- design and provide a selection of individualized services; and
- coordinate community volunteers.
Membership fees and participation will make this happen.
Through membership, each Village uniquely connects its older adults to the community, programs, and expertise they specifically need to continue living lives of purpose and promise. Join us to make GNV a true reflection of its members, a purposeful and powerful space for learning, laughter, and courage as we take on the future. Become a paid member in GNV’s inaugural year and demonstrate your commitment to having a Village in Greater Niles.
Who is a Villager? YOU!
- you are an older adult in Fremont, seeking community, programs, and expertise to continue living a life of purpose and promise;
- you are an adult child of a Fremont senior, looking for resources and partners to enhance daily life for your aging parent(s) and for assistance as a caregiver;
- you are a potential volunteer, at any age, wishing to contribute your expertise towards a purposeful and powerful space for learning, laughter, and courage.
Are you in the picture?
Thursday, November 7, 2019
6:00 - 8:00 pm
The Edison Theater
Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum
37417 Niles Boulevard
Fremont, CA 94536
- learn how GNV will benefit you
- enjoy light fare
- mingle with fellow Villagers
- meet GNV Board and volunteers
- explore the historic Edison Theater
This event is free and open to all but requires registration
Sundaes in the Park with George
Saturday July 27
California Nursery Historical Park
The setting was historic and welcoming as Villagers gathered to hear George Roeding and brother, Bruce, talk about growing up in Niles on the nursery owned by their parents. Today the California Historical Nursery is known for its amazing contributions to horticulture. In their youth , the brothers picked cucumbers for the pickling plant in Irvington, and plums from the family orchard. They swiped cherries from the neighbors' (The Shinn’s) orchard(Roeding plums, apricots and peaches not being satisfactory enough!). They entered their pet donkey "Four Bits" and dog “Jill” in regularly occurring Niles pet parades.
The brothers, still known as "the Roeding boys," entertained the 22 Villagers (and a few guests) in the first ever GNV paid-member "meet and greet,” in the shady area outside the Vallejo Adobe. Everyone enjoyed a walk-away ice cream sundae and each other's company while listening to some fascinating Niles history shared by the Roedings, who lived it.
The Board of Directors has created working teams which are responsible for Administration, Member Services, Outreach and Publicity, Technology, and Fundraising start-up activities. GNV invites you to join us now as a Team volunteer. Bring your expertise to help us shape a dynamic village.
Share your interest, energy and expertise with a community of neighbors who share their skills and support to navigate the challenges and opportunities of aging.
Register your interest here
- Member Services Team: coordinating member needs with volunteer services or social activities
- Volunteers Program Team: recruiting, screening and training volunteers
- Outreach and Publicity Team: creating marketing and publicity materials for the public as well as for members and volunteers
- Technology Team: designing and maintaining GNV’s “virtual office”
- Fundraising Team: developing funding sources for GNV
- Administrative Team: forming GNV’s policies and procedures
Greater Niles Village
PO Box 2021
Fremont CA 94536